How to start an online business from scratch
How to start an online business from scratch. It seems that everyone wants to make money online these days and think that all you have to do is press a few buttons on your keyboard and make money magically appear in your bank account. If that were true, i’d be sitting next to Richard Branson on his island, drinking cocktails with my laptop open!
Having a profitable online business is all about mindset. It is, after all, a business and should be respected as such. Online marketing is not an amateur sport and cannot just be picked up by posting your links on Facebook or Twitter. Marketing is all about communication and telling your target audience about your product or service. Here are my 5 tips on how to start an online business from scratch.
- Identify your passion in life. We all know something about something don’t we? Most of us have a passion in life and because we love that particular thing, it means we know a lot about it. The more passionate we are about something, the more enthusiastic and knowledgable we will be about our interests. Don’t choose any old product because you have a feeling it will sell and make you some money.
- How are you going to create content nearly everyday or talk about your product on Facebook if you don’t really give a rat’s ass about shoe laces? Start with the one thing you know most about even if you think no-one will want to know about it – Believe me, the internet is vast and there’s a big pond for everyone to go fishing in.
- You can get an easy to use website (blog) to write about your passions in life. I can help you get hooked up with a blogging system that you don’t have to get the domain name or hosting set up. It’s all done for you! All you have to do is take a look HERE and see how having a viral blogging system and using it to talk about what you’re really passionate about and how you love to live your life can earn you money and really get your business off the ground!
- Create regular content. By posting regular content about your passion you can start to build attention and momentum to that attention. People will find your content on Google or Bing, or they’ll find you on Facebook or see your tweets on Twitter and follow you with interest. Regular content in your blog will make you an authority on your subject and the more consistant you are with your content then people are more likely to buy from you. Remember this – People buy from people.
- Create social media pages around your business. Unless you’ve been living in a cave you will have heard of Facebook and Twitter. There are literally hungreds of these sites around. The phrase social media for me simply means ‘The Internet’. It’s essentially the same thing. Social media was just a phrase created to explain where people hang out online and talk about stuff. This is why the internet is such a powerful medium. It’s changed some societies and people have risen up against dictatorships. So if you think that the internet and social media won’t get you business then please don’t even waste your time. I suggest you get yourself a Facebook page and a twitter page and learn how to use them both because in minutes you’ll be able to find people and groups that are interested in your subject matter. Once you have your blog content published and ready to be read, you can send out your link to people so they can access it. Again, if you want some guidance and lessons on how to find prospects and customers using social media sites then get in touch with me.
- Create buzz and attention around your product or services. Social media can really help with this. Newsflashes, product launches and questionnaires can be done on your Facebook fanpage to drive awareness to your business. Because your content can be shared amongst your facebook friends or twitter followers – this can be powerful in terms of reaching out to more people than you ever thought possible. This can be known as the viral effect – it spreads!
Once you have completed the above steps you just repeat, repeat, repeat and repeat.
How to start an online business from scratch is all about being passionate and consistent. Keep writing, creating content, or making videos about whatever it is that you love the most. My passion is helping people online. People that have a passion and want to make money out of it online can do it by creating lots of content and making sure as many people see it as possible. This can be done on the internet quite easily.